Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Toffee Popcorn

I used to make this recipe a lot for Christmas or New Year's Eve, but as in every candy making, it takes work and time and standing around stirring and checking the temperature. That is . . . until this year! I was getting the directions to make it and realized I'd written some microwave directions for it. I don't know where those directions came from, I never tried it before, but decided I wanted the easy way out if it were possible. Lo and behold - it worked! Sweet! Here are both directions!

1 C unpopped popcorn
1/2 C Water
1 lb Real Butter (this is what makes it toffee, not caramel)
1/2 C Karo Syrup (light)
2 C Sugar
1 t Vanilla

Pop the popcorn. (Hot air will give the best results.)

Put the water, butter, Karo Syrup and sugar in a medium saucepan. Cook and stir over medium to medium high heat until it smokes. I go to the soft ball stage on the candy thermometer. It will look golden brown. You need to stir the whole time! Remove from heat and add the vanilla.

Microwave directions:
Melt butter (1-2 minutes). Add other ingredients except vanilla. Cook on high 5 minutes (Important: stir after 3 minutes!) Stir. Cook for 5 1/2 minutes. (Again - stir after 3 minutes!) Then 2 more minutes. It's important to stir each time. After this last time, stir for a few minutes to get the sugar and butter to combine. If it still doesn't work, put it in the microwave for another 2 minutes. Stir again. If you cook it too long, it will get hard and not taste as good. (I added the extra 2 minutes, but I don't think I needed to. It was still good - not too hard, but I like it a little softer!)

No comments:

Post a Comment