Friday, January 17, 2014

Chicken and Broccoli Casserole

This has been a favorite of mine since I was in college and my roommates and I cooked for an apartment of boys! They loved it, too. This is one of Dad's favorite recipes and he asks for this when he gets to choose the menu.

Butter a 9" x 13" pan.

Precook about 6 chicken breasts (or a whole chicken or 10 to 12 chicken tenders) with whatever method you desire. If you bake it, you can use water instead of chicken broth for the sauce. I usually boil the chicken with onions, bay leaf, basil, salt and pepper. Cut into cubes. (I've not tried it shredded.)

Cook one large package of broccoli (not Sam's Club Large - just grocery store large - not sure how many ounces - probably 16.) You can also use fresh broccoli, but only cook it half way. Drain the water.

Lay the broccoli in the buttered casserole dish. Lay the chicken on top of the broccoli.You can sprinkle the chicken with sliced almonds, mushrooms and a little parsley before you cover it with the sauce. I usually skip that.

Sauce:
2 cans Cream of Chicken soup
1 C Mayonnaise
1/4 C Chicken Broth (from chicken)
1/2 t Curry powder

Put the sauce over it and then sprinkle the sauce with buttered bread crumbs. I found that toasting 4 pieces of bread, buttering them and then processing them in my food processor makes a great bread topping.

Cover with foil, removing for the last 10 minutes. Bake at 325 degrees for 1/2 hour. You can make this ahead and keep in the refrigerator, but bake for 1 hour.

S

No comments:

Post a Comment