Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Slow Cooker Southwest Chicken Stacks

Adapted from my RS Cookbook  

Try this tomorrow and your tummy will thank me. So will your taste buds. Come to think of it, so will you when you see how much time this recipe frees up in your routine. 

5 min of prep+6 hours in a crockpot+10 more minutes of prep=  





Makes: 4 Servings          Prep Time: 15 min          Cook Time: 6 hrs          Total Time: 6 hrs 15 min

Ingredients

  • 2 cups frozen corn
  • 1(16 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained (any old can will work, but this time I had a can of Bush’s Best Grillin’ Beans: Black Bean Fiesta lying around and it’s even better)
  • 2 large frozen boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 lb)
  • 1 1/2 cups salsa

Optional toppings:

  • cheese
  • lettuce
  • tomato
  • avocado
  • sour cream
  • cilantro
  • lime wedges
  • etc.

Instructions

  1. Lightly grease the bottom and sides of the slow cooker. Pour frozen corn into the bottom of the slow cooker and place the frozen chicken breasts on top. Cover with beans and salsa. Cover slow cooker and cook on low for 6 hours. Remove chicken from slow cooker and shred with forks. Return to the slow cooker and stir until the chicken, corn, beans, and salsa are combined.
  2. Serve on a bed of tortilla chips and top with additional garnishes


You’re welcome!

5 comments:

  1. This looks like a chicken taco soup recipe I have and it's wonderful. I'll have to post it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm trying this today. I'm looking for recipes that will work for our late church schedule!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My tummy does thank you, it was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. The cheapest jar salsa I could find. I've used two different brands and couldn't tell the difference.

      Delete