Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Banana Nut Bread

This is the recipe I grew up with. It was my mother's mother's recipe, so a real family recipe!

Cream:
1 C Sugar
1/2 C Shortening (I use margarine or butter now)

Add 3 Smashed bananas

Mix dry ingredients:
1 t Baking Soda
1 t Salt
2 C Flour

Alternate adding dry mixture and 1/3 C milk to the creamed banana mixture. Then add 1/2 C Crushed Nuts (I usually don't add these, but it is really good with finely crushed walnuts.)

Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes.

Makes 2 bread loaf pans of bread.

*For fun - who doesn't like bananas and chocolate? - I add about 1/3 cup or more of mini semi-sweet chocolate chips.
* This never turns out well when you double the recipe. I used to try to do it and it never turned out and then my mother told me it doesn't work!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment