Friday, January 17, 2014

Chocolate Mint Meltaways

How can I add recipes to this blog without a dessert or sweet treat? I thought I grabbed the recipe for Triple Layer Brownies which I made recently and Shelley didn't remember me ever making them. I looked down and realized I had this recipe instead, which is also a real winner! I'll do the Brownies another time. These cookies absolutely melt in your mouth! They taste good made with margarine or butter. I usually use regular semi-sweet chocolate morsels and add mint flavoring after melting. I don't usually have the mint ones on hand like I do the regular ones and it's cheaper this way.


Chocolate Mint Meltaways

Cookie:
1 C Mint-Chocolate morsels, divided (or regular and add mint flavoring after melting)
3/4 C Butter, Softened
1/2 C Sifted Confectioner's Sugar (Yes, be sure to sift it.)
1 Egg Yolk
1 1/4 C Flour

Glaze:
1/2 C Mint-Chocolate morsels (or regular and add mint flavoring after melting)
1 1/2 T Shortening
2 T Chopped toasted almonds (optional - I never add these - you know me, no nuts in my chocolate!)

Cookie:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt 1 C Chocolate morsels; stir until smooth (this is when I add 1/2 t mint extract). Set aside. In large bowl, combine butter, confectioners' sugar and egg yolk; beat until creamy. Add melted morsels and flour; beat until well blended. Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes. Allow to stand 3 minutes before removing from cookie sheets. Cool completely. These should be flat when done.

Glaze:
Melt 1/2 C Chocolate morsels and vegetable shortening together. Stir until morsels are melted and mixture is smooth. (Add 1/4 t mint extract if needed). Drizzle each cookie with 1/2 teaspoon glaze; Sprinkle with almonds if desired. Chill until set. Store in airtight container in refrigerator. (These freeze well, too.) Makes about 4 dozen 1 3/4-inch cookies.

1 comment: